It is currently July 24th, 2014, 5:39 am

Feed Recipe 
Chick
Chick

Post Feed Recipe
I am new to this site and am really getting a lot of good ideas on pen styles and health aids for my game fowl, Thank you all. I am trying to find a clean 15 to 17% protein feed mix recipe.

October 4th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Feed Recipe
can you not get that readily available where you live? I don't recommend just mixing anything together..like throwing this and that..it really doesn't work like that. The people that work in the feed industry are actually trained to calculate this stuff. When we go mixing our own feeds it gets so very complicated and we end up cheating our fowl out of valuable minerals, vitamins and trace elements..which are extremely important. Sooo..if you can get that mix where you're at..do it, but if you can't, that's another story..we can work on it.

October 5th, 2010, 6:00 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

were are from mike? there are people on this site all over the U S and across the big pond too, im sure someone can turn you onto a mill or feed store some were that has a good quality cock feed!

October 5th, 2010, 8:05 am
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

I am in southern Ohio, I do feed a 20% game bird pellet sold locally. My mix is 2 parts pellets, one part whole corn, half part whole oat, half part black oil sunflower seed. My fowl does good on this mix. I have heard from other game fowlers that mixing in calf mana and red wheat or wheat germ oil with pellets is a better way to go during the molt period, and conditioning or finishing.

October 5th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Alot of people feed 20% even higher on protein but i like to keep it around 15% year round then bump it up a bit for the moult. I honestly feel like 20% protein year round burns the birds up when there pend up and not burning it off through the year. If your feed mill has 20% pellets they should have a good 15 to 17% cock mix or be able to order it for you ( just ask next time in ) Ryan

October 7th, 2010, 8:07 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

..again it's not just about the protein here..you must calculate carbs, fats plus consider trace minerals etc etc. 20% is too high for adult fowl. Personally I think you need to look and your "parts" there and do some calculating if that's what you're running a mix on. Your pellets are already 20% and even though you are cutting it with whole corn (which i don't think is necessary, would find something else if that's what you wish to do) you're still bumping it back up with the black oil sunflower seeds as they are high in protein and fat. Corn is not too particularly high in protein..it's on the low end and only good for producing heat and has some limited B vitamins..mostly like giving them candy. Most commercial type feed already has plenty of corn. Just food for thought there..no pun intended. :thumb

October 7th, 2010, 10:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

dannys game farm website use to have a protein calculator. dose anyone know anouther site that has one?

October 7th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm....wonder where he got the idea from?

feed/percentages.xls

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

October 7th, 2010, 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
New Egg
New Egg

i use rooster booster it is 19% protein i buy 4 55 gal barrols at a time it is cheaper that away

October 7th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Thanks, the calculation chart helps a lot.

October 7th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail