It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 5:42 pm

Telling the difference 
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Post Telling the difference
Anyone care to share some tips on how to distinguish the different lines of AG's?
Thank you,

May 9th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Post Re: Telling the difference
Almost impossible other than some major color differences. The only other indication would be leg color but then you have no idea what is crossed in there. Hatches will tend to have green legs unless they are Pinnions (Yellow), Kelso Yellow/White, Roundheads White, etc, but that is really not any kind of indication.

May 9th, 2013, 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

ddroland wrote:
Almost impossible other than some major color differences. The only other indication would be leg color but then you have no idea what is crossed in there. Hatches will tend to have green legs unless they are Pinnions (Yellow), Kelso Yellow/White, Roundheads White, etc, but that is really not any kind of indication.

I agree, its almost impossible. Since AG were originally made up by crossing other games they have a very diverse genetic background, and everybody has his own line of this or that with this or that added in to "freshen" the line up. My take on it all is you get some birds and breed them, and test the heck out of them and then the ones that make the cut can be called whatever you want. I have a line of "Kelso" that I have been working on for 3 breeding seasons. The guy I got my brood cock from just told me he is a Kelso. He has a pea comb, yellow legs, and 95% of the pullets he throws are wheaten colored and the stags are black breasted red, but a pumpkin/red color. I used some hens that I knew to contain some Kelso and Roundhead in them for the first generation breeding and got white legs and yellow legs, BBR and Wheaten colors, and threw nice small pea combs, roundhead looking pea combs, and almost like small single combs. Now after 3 seasons of inbreeding the best pullets back to the original cock they are coming pretty uniform in color, leg color, comb, and conformation. You wouldnt know it to look at them that they arent "pure" Kelso, but I am happy with the outcome to this point. The point of my story is that people make due with what they have, and will breed their chickens with a certain goal in mind and will call them whatever they want to. My Kelso probably have no actual Kelso blood in them from Walter Kelso's birds but they look enough like them and I was told my broodcock is Kelso so thats what they get called, even though they look like they could be Albanys or even Roundheads. I am sure that this story is a pretty common one among AG breeders weather they will admit it or not. There are a few old timers that have been breeding certain lines for years and years, but they are few, and if you dont have the room for hundreds and hundreds of birds its hard to keep enough birds to maintain genetic diversity in a line so they end up getting infused with something else which changes the whole line. I did a LOT of reading on the different strains of AG when I got started with them and you can learn a lot from looking at pictures of the different strains. you can get a general sence of how a certain line should look, but with AG apperence is only skin deep...so telling the difference isnt always easy. the way I see it is the best you can hope for is to get to know someone who has been around AG for a long time and they can help you tell them apart. I have a couple of buddies that are heavy in the sport since they were kids in Mexico and they have been a big help to me.

May 10th, 2013, 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Okay, thank you. So I guess it goes back to simply phenotype: if it "walks and talks" like a Kelso, then it is.

May 10th, 2013, 11:27 am
Profile E-mail