It is currently September 20th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Malay rooster 
Chick
Chick

Post Malay rooster
Good morning, I'm new to this site, and new to chickens, and I'd like to get some info. from you all on Malays. In March I purchased 4 chicks (supposed to be pullets) One of the birds was supposed to be a Delaware, but as time went on, she started looking less and less like a Delaware, and more like a velociraptor! I contacted the feedstore where I purchased the birds, sent the gal a picture, and we determined that "she" was a he, and was indeed a Malay. The feedstore gets their birds from Ideal. My question is what do you think the odds of this bird remaining friendly etc...are? Right now he's not wild about being picked up, but he's not mean or aggressive (of course he's only 3 months old too) I really didn't want a rooster, but now that I have him, as long as he stays 'nice' ;-) he can stay. Also, I've read where they can grow to be 3 ft. tall :o is that right?? That's more like a ridin' or cart pullin' chicken LOL
Here's Pablo ;-) I'm a photographer, so I may have to keep him just to photograph ;-) I think he's going to be a handsome cock.

May 20th, 2011, 9:02 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Re: Malay rooster
In general, malays are not aggresive, especially with people...shouldnt have any problems there

May 20th, 2011, 9:10 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Chick
Chick

Thanks! that's good to know ;-) because right now he's pretty fun, and I enjoy watching him and the girls.

May 20th, 2011, 9:14 am
Profile E-mail

Since he is from hatchery stock, he will not reach the full height potential of the breed. They are bred for quantity, not quality. There should also not be any aggression issues, especially with people.

He looks like a healthy bird, hope he does well for you. I had a hatchery malay pullet once, and she just never seemed very thrifty. She did make a great pot of chicken and dumplings! :)

May 20th, 2011, 10:55 am
Profile YIM
Know It All!
Know It All!

MOST, not all, Orientals are not aggressive like American class or some other breeds. My Asil have always been quite tame, occasionally aloof, never aggressive. When I kept Shamo, Ganoi, and Thai, ditto- but Shamo had the best disposition or those. Good luck with him

May 20th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Chick
Chick

ahhh ;-( I was rather looking forward to having a riding chicken LOL
I thnk he's pretty healthy, as are the other 3. I try and take good care of them...
Here is the Brahma from the same hatchery, I quite like her, and think I might get another couple, maybe dark one...

and this kind of surprised me ;-) I have Border Collies, and we work sheep. A lot of folks work ducks, but chickens aren't supposed to work that well ;-) but these guys go pretty good, SHe can put them anywhere I want them, and pens them for me at night, plus it's a hoot to watch.

May 20th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Thanks Carr. I wonder why all the sites say such scary things about them then? Not for novice chicken owners, can do a lot of damage etc...too bad they get such a bad rap, as they are very handsome birds....

May 20th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Profile E-mail

They get a bad rap because the folks making the website have never owned such birds, and/or the assumption that the "aggression" will be meant in conjunction with other birds, not people. A lot of folk have never owned fowl period and the implication is lost on them as they take it at face value.

Beautiful dog! :) You must have raised your birds around the dog, since they aren't panicing.

May 20th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Profile YIM
Know It All!
Know It All!

I really don't know about other poultry sites, I really not interested in chickens, except what I raise. BYC, and other similiar locality based sites, are oriented towards a different audience than myself. I formerly logged to Ganoi.com,( when photo gallery was still up) and partisipate at Asil Club, but far less than immediately after ganoi crashed. There are some good folks here that keep Asils or other Orientals, so I really prefer the company.

May 20th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Shh... don't tell anyone here, but I do like the fluffy brahmas & cochins. ;)

I had some at one point, they make excellent incubators and brooders. They can cover a lot more eggs and chicks than game hens. I can't keep them with my orientals though, because they (cochin & brahma) are too passive.

May 20th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Profile YIM