It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:48 am

AI Testing 

Post AI Testing
I participate in our States AI testing. A field rep comes once every 6 months and takes 30 throat swabs (30 different breeder birds). Report comes back within 2 weeks telling if I am clean or not.

This testing is a requirement to ship and show in a few States (NC, VA, PA, to name a few).

There is no cost to the farmer in SC for the testing. There might be in other States.

I was just wondering who else participates.

February 10th, 2012, 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: AI Testing
Ditto when making NPIP application for pullorum and MG, to be covered bringing or shipping to states requiring any/ all.

February 10th, 2012, 9:33 am
Know It All!
Know It All!

I inquired about it when my state man was here for NPIP testing. Here they test all fowl. As I understand it, if you have hi pathegen AI you wont have time to test as birds will die within 24 hours. To test here, requires to test every feather then 3 months test again a persentage then 3 months test again a percentage. I understand there is a high # of false positives with the test they do here. If found even a false positive without knowing, quarintine and destroy entire flock is the norm.Like I said from what Ive been told by my state. If you have AI you wont have to worry long because all will be dead before you can react.You know for a national program they sure dont seem to use the same method for testing from state to state. Like I said our Pollorium testing is every feather any bird be guinneas chickens or what ever, over 3 months of age, every year. Whats the point of testing only some fowl and not others. More so with AI or MG? Our state has no charge for the program,Plus offers free pickup and nurcropsy with a readout for sick fowl. Fowl must be alive at time of pickup.

February 10th, 2012, 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

I had all tested here, and there they do throat swabs. Here they joking say no immediate reply from AI testing is good, as a positive and flock is destroyed w/i 24 hrs, LOL. They have had many outbreaks in the Valley, usually with their brood flock's transmition to chick at hatchery and then spend throughout thier production facilities. They like to blame small flock owners, the State Vet knows better.

February 10th, 2012, 11:55 am

Over 50 small farms are tested in SC all voluntarily. No AI has ever been found on any of them either low or high path. There has been low path AI found at some swaps from obviously sick chickens according to the field rep this morning.

Actually, I'd prefer to know if there is any type of outbreak so that I can hunker down and not take any chickens to shows or bring any new birds in. I figure if there is ever an outbreak of the high path they are going to kill everybodies chickens within a certain radius of where it occurs whether you participate or not.

February 10th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

Dittos on all, Doc.

February 10th, 2012, 11:12 pm