It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 7:11 am

Chinese Gamefowl 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Chinese Gamefowl
The China(Chinese) Game Fowl are truley a magnificent breed in their own. They sport massive tail feathers in length as well as height and saddles that drag the ground. These are also of aggressive behavior, however seem to show the intelligence of tacticle defense as well as breed personality. They appear to be showing great vigor and disease resistance as well, producing chicks in numbers that hatch off quite well with little to no problems. These fowl, originating from China, were brought to the states in the early 1930's. Mr. Herman Pinion had Chinese Immigrants who worked on his farm and these were their birds. It is not unheard of that these were also crossed to Mr. Pinion's own American Game Fowl, creating some which had pea comb and long tails and saddles. The China Games come in a variety of colors and weigh in the range of 4-5lbs depending on conditioning. The usually have a pea to cushion comb and pearl to white legs. In the last year I have been hatching off mostly goldens,silvers,red pyles, some mahogany and several recessive whites. The hens are good layers of medium sized eggs that are usually white to cream colored and males showing great fertility levels as well as the hens. My intentions are to preserve this breed back to "saddle draggers" as well as keeping the game state. Selections for such type as well as pea comb birds with light colored legs will be my focus in the future. I am still trying to obtain information on these birds through international contacts to research their origin. So far all is inconclusive, but will keep up on the quest.

November 30th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

1930's circa pic (courtesy of Toni-Marie Astin)

November 30th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Chinese Gamefowl
China Game, Hainan Fowl 海南鸡
written by David Rogers, as told by Toni-Marie Astin's friend Ms. Ping

The fowl known in the US as "China Game" originated in the tropical Hainan Province of Southern China. Though they now exist throughout China. Hainan is a Chinese word meaning, "South of the Sea." Hainan Province has 97% of its land mass on Hainan Island, "Hainan Dao". The remaining 3% of its land mass is scattered across some two hundred smaller islands in the region. Hainan first appears in written history ca. 110 BC. Its first inhabitants are estimated to have arrived there some 3,000 years ago. It is not known how long the fowl have been bred there.

The fowl are referred to properly as "Hainan Fowl". However, individuals in many rural populations refer to them simply as "tail fighters". Their physical appearance and occasional mutations suggest they have Green Jungle Fowl from Java in their ancestry. Aside from the long tail feathers of the rooster, pea-combed birds having one centrally located wattle and rounded neck feathers are known to exist within the flocks of older, long-time breeders. This suggests that southern China had trade with Java, Indonesia, prior to the 7th century AD.

Black-breasted red is the most common plumage color pattern. Silver and gold ducking is also known to exist. As well as black-tailed red ginger. Leg colors are green and yellow, varying even within the same flock.

Corn is an expensive commodity that is not readily available. Brown rice itself is not necessarily fed to the fowl either due to its demand as a staple of the human diet. So only the byproducts of brown rice, fruit, and vegetables are fed to the fowl. Hainan Island is a typhoon prone location. Debris from the sea often washes up on the beaches. Dead fish, crustaceans, and sea weed are commonly collected from the beaches and fed to livestock, including the Hainan fowl.

Despite this diet of rice byproducts and sea refuse, it seems the fowl do well in the US living on other grains. This is in stark contrast to other fowl such as non-molting long-tail fowl that have a similar diet in their native country of Japan and do best maintained on such a diet.

The fowl were fought sometimes ceremoniously at specific times of the year. It's said that they would not fight during the winter months and were used mostly during the spring and summer months during breeding season when the roosters were already prone to fighting.

Today the fowl are still used in this manner in rural villages in China. Elsewhere outside of China they are kept as pets and ornamental fowl.

My Photography Site

Last edited by IndianaGardener on September 30th, 2009, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 29th, 2009, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

Thats a very interesting bird, many thanks for the pix and info. :)

:thumb

September 29th, 2009, 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Lol. Folks I've got some cull Cubalayas that look just like that cockbird! doc

September 30th, 2009, 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Here is one of several color variations I hatched late this year - still a very young bird. The nearby shrub is Callicarpa - better known by the common name of Purple Beautyberry.

October 2nd, 2009, 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Attached is a picture of a young bird I recently purchased as part of a pair. The birds are young and presently in molt. The cockerel has massive tail feathers coming in.
The pair is interesting in character, different than my other American and Oriental birds. I would be interested in opinions of the cockerel and can get some pics of the pullet if anyone is interested.

Attachments:
ChineseLongtail.jpg
ChineseLongtail.jpg [ 94.82 KiB | Viewed 4159 times ]
October 4th, 2009, 7:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well..I know pictures can be tough on a bird but..that body is really large, breast is really pronounced and appears to have large bones which structure would indicate some sort of grading here..not sure. I think the whole body, neck and head is odd shaped..but that is just my opinion..i'm sorry so don't be offended. I realize he's in molt too so i'm taking that into consideration as well..still concerned with the saddle feathering as they don't appear to look as they come from a "dragger"..when mine molted you could always tell they were long by the way they grow..again..i could be wrong..just stating what i see by the pic. Could you post a pic of the hen as well?

October 4th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

That is the best picture I have, but may not be representative of the bird. He is the finest-boned game I own and a pretty elegant bird. I can get some more pics of him later this week along with the pullet- her feathering is more complete than his. I would say the cockerel weighs a little over 4 lbs and she is slightly smaller.
I appreciate the input as I am trying to figure out the birds as well- hopefully some candid shots will do him more justice.
Thank you

October 4th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Maybe it's his posture, or just the angle of the photo, but I agree with China. The body and head look off somehow. The carriage may improve as he matures. Unless that's just the photo not doing him justice. The body should be more aerodynamic, I guess would be the way to describe it.

Also, the saddles look too wide to reach a good length. I could be wrong though. Only time will tell for sure. I'd like to see another photo of him as he matures and comes into feather.

David

My Photography Site

October 5th, 2009, 8:00 am
Profile WWW