It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 9:13 am

Chinese Gamefowl 
New Egg
New Egg

Post Re: Chinese Gamefowl
Hi, I will love to see him in full feather.The pic makes him a bit blocky looking. Almost to big of a body. Sometimes pic just dont do a bird justice,. Take about 10 pic and maybe 2 will be good ones. Thats what I have to do sometimes. He does have yellow legs. pea comb. And seems to be working on a long tail...Post a new one when he is out of molt. Maybe thats throwing him off balence. Nice and healthy looking bird. Where is he from? Toni-Marie. http://www.bantamlongtails.com

October 5th, 2009, 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

Here is a picture of the pullet. I totally agree that the bodies on these birds look large in the pics, but that is not at all true when handling them. They are very tight bodied and not so muscular as my Kelso hens for example. Why their body feathering is slightly "fuller" than on my other birds I do not know. I have only had them for a short time so am not sure if it is seasonal or having to do with their molt.
The birds are most recently from Ohio.
Thanks,
Ted

October 11th, 2009, 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
New Egg
New Egg

Nice birds.... I think they will be very nice for you.... Send another pic when there out of molt. they look strong and healthy....TMA

October 13th, 2009, 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

Does putting wire on the bottom of the cage like that bother them when they scratch?

October 20th, 2009, 2:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Benito09,
I only use that pen for taking pics, or have put hardware cloth in the bottom for growing out feathered chicks.

October 23rd, 2009, 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail
New Egg
New Egg

Any new pic yet?????? TMA :rstr:

November 5th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

I have been thinking of acquiring some Chinese game fowl for quite a while. What I have not been able to find out is if there are strains other than Pinnon's. Are the Pinnons the best strain aside from looking impressive?

February 16th, 2010, 1:23 am
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Many people like to attach names of strains to their birds even when they are only part or not at all to sell them. Because Pinon brought attention to this wonderful breed first in this country and he did keep them and breed them and used them with his other game strains I believe a good many of them in this country come from these original birds. I also have been told about other longtail games finding their way here from China that fit the description of China Gamefowl in the late 80's and early 90's sold out of California in the Asian markets. Anyways even if a persons stock was pure bloodlines from Pinon's stock they would not be his stock anymore because each person breeds a little differently but instead be stock that has its origins from his. This being said I think one should grade each line on how it looks as a whole to your ideals and not to its supposed pedigree. I have seen good lines ruined in short order by ones poor breeding choices and on the flip side seen good breeders produce really fine stock from average birds almost just as fast as long as the right genes were still in them to begin with.

One another note that has already been stated their legs should be of a green base in color not blue based on what Pinon wrote about them. This does not mean they do not or did not come white or pearl legged in their homeland but that this is what Pinon set up for them here as a breed standard of sorts. Yellow is green without melanizers and white or pearl is blue without these same melanizers. This is helpful to know when working on leg color of any breed. The two most common leg colors is blue and green. Adding or subtracting melanizers to these two colors give us most of our leg colors found. Adding more melanizers to blue gives us black legs and to green brown or cacky legs. Since over time many have crossed their China Gamefowl with other breeds out of fear of them being bred to closely or out of desire to add a new color or other trait this may be the reason we see white or pearl legged birds in some strains of them. Pinon also listed them as pea combed but since the pictures of his birds were after they were dubbed we can not say for sure. I do only breed for green or yellow leg color and pea combs though as well as good multi feathering and long flowing tails and saddles.

Attachments:
020.JPG
020.JPG [ 184.7 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]
March 25th, 2010, 3:42 am
Profile E-mail
New Egg
New Egg

Polish wrote:
Attached is a picture of a young bird I recently purchased as part of a pair. The birds are young and presently in molt. The cockerel has massive tail feathers coming in.
The pair is interesting in character, different than my other American and Oriental birds. I would be interested in opinions of the cockerel and can get some pics of the pullet if anyone is interested.

Mr Polish. Do you still have any of the china game fowl, If you do please let me know. email= manb514@gmail.com thank you. :D

September 6th, 2014, 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail