It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 6:44 am

akasasa minohiki 
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post akasasa minohiki
Anyone with info. on these birds please reply--I am totally captivated by these birds and would like to get a start of them--I have never seen a breed that has a fantail like these do. there are pictures of them on the sister site 'Onagadori Longtail' but I have been unable to log in there--there is a picture of a white hen in a cage and a few other pics of this line of breeding--I'm wondering if they are a cross of longtail varieties or a true breed of their own--sure would like to get a start of these beautiful birds--anyone with info please respond--thanks Greg---PS is it Akasasa or Akasaza--minohiki???? :ck

April 3rd, 2010, 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: akasasa minohiki
I know we don't have much on the breed on our wiki, but you can see a little info HERE.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

April 3rd, 2010, 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

Thanks Cuda for the quick reply--I know the Minohiki is a breed all its own but the ones I'm after are called Akasasa or Akasaza--they have quite a fantail carriage on them--I'm hoping this is not just due to an adrenaline rush from the birds being excited--thanks again--Greg :ck)

April 3rd, 2010, 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know much about the breed myself, but I seem to remember that is just referring to the color, but I may be wrong, I'm sure someone who knows more about them will chime in though and tell you what you need to know. ;)

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

April 3rd, 2010, 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Golden Feather Boy
Golden Feather Boy

gregrountree wrote:
Thanks Cuda for the quick reply--I know the Minohiki is a breed all its own but the ones I'm after are called Akasasa or Akasaza--they have quite a fantail carriage on them--I'm hoping this is not just due to an adrenaline rush from the birds being excited--thanks again--Greg :ck)

If i remember what Miss Julia said regarding Shamos and Mice (Miss Wanda) said Akasasa is just a color meaning "Red hackled" in Japanese.

ETA: I see CUDA posted a little faster than i did ;).

Interested in poultry showing? Live in Mississippi or a nearby state? Check out the Mississippi Poultry Show Club!

April 3rd, 2010, 2:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

OOOPPPSS--OOOPPPSS !!!! My Mistake--the breed I'm talking about is called--Akasasa-Satsuma---sorry....Greg :roll:

April 3rd, 2010, 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Akasaza is the colour name. It basically means Black Breasted Red. Satsumadori and Minohiki are two different breeds, both are available in the Akasaza colour. The Satsuma do have that gorgeous fantail, it's supposed to be there all the time, just like in Cubalaya. I don't think either Satsuma or Minohiki are available in the US though, so unless you're in Europe, you're probably out of luck.

April 5th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Yeal--I'm finding all of these things out as I do more research on them....Satsumadori seems to be the name of the breed and your right the other names are about the coloring of the birds..and yes--the path ahead looks bleak for getting a start of them--guess I will have to be happy looking at the pictures :roll: some post I have read say they are mean to other chickens....also that the 2 people known to have them here in America use alias names and do not sell any--so looks like a dead end for me----thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and info----Greg :ck

April 6th, 2010, 7:31 am
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

well satsumadori and minohiki are very closely in genetics (the satsuma were reffered to as poor mans minohiki)
indeed akasasa (also spelled akasaza) is refering to the color. Minohiki is the saddlehackle dragger.

Here in europe Satsumadori is relative easy to be found, especially Germany has quite some breeders. And in my country i know of just a handfull.
Minohiki now is a different story...even here it is extremely rare. As far as we know there are 5 breeders. me in the Netherlands, 1 in Italy, 1 in Germany and 2 in Poland. As far as possible we try to work together.

June 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Profile WWW