It is currently April 17th, 2014, 2:38 am

OMG....Coon took out 29 of my Thais...so heart broken 
Chick
Chick

Post OMG....Coon took out 29 of my Thais...so heart broken
Went to my coop this morning discover all my prize thai's all ripped apart. My heart sunk at that moment all I work so
Hard for is gone in one night rooster, hens and chicks scatter everywhere. The bastard dug under every coop and ate there head and stomach horrible way to go I don't even know what to think I'm lost , confused and hurt emotionally I been raising birds for nearly 20 years this is first time this ever happen to me. I set up trap and motion camera and WTF I catch on cam a freaking pack of coon. I took one out with my benjamin Sheridan but the rest of the pack flee. I don't know where to go from here it's so Eff up.

June 3rd, 2011, 3:21 am
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post Re: OMG....Coon took out 29 of my Thais...so heart broken
Feel for you. I have had problems in the past with coons, now they have problems with me. Not many left around here. Years ago I rebuilt every pen with welded wire 1' x 1/2" to keep everything from Fisher Cats to Weasels out. Wish you luck in getting the rest of them as they will be back. Sorry for you losses.

June 3rd, 2011, 4:44 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again...get you a good chicken dog. You can build pens like fort knox, put up fences, and hot wire, but none of that will make as much difference a dog will make.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

June 3rd, 2011, 5:12 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I've lost several to coons and or possums in the last couple of weeks,,,lost my favorite pullet I raised this year last night...have traps set everywhere...obviously they're not heavy enough to set off the traps...its war now....SOB's took my best pullet!...give me a week and I promise you wont find a live coon or possum within a mile...I'm going today to borrow more live traps from the county animal control...I slept in a tree stand last nite untill 3 am...came in then and went to bed,,,set the clock for 5 am..went back out and the pullet had one of her legs eaten off...I'm more than a lil pissed off!... ITS ON NOW! I even went as far as leavin food out away from the pens to try and deter them from coming up and eatin chickens....radios playin in the midst of the pens...flashing lights..even built a small fire and left it burning in a makeshift pit....THEY WILL DIE VERY VERY SOON! ..AND I DONT WANT TO JUST KILL EM! I WANT TO TOTURE THE SOB"S ! AND I WAS DOIN SO GOOD IN MY CUSSIN REFORM! So much for that...MY dogs arent worth a damn either...ought to kill them too...ok maybe not...I love my dogs..but damn..they could help out a little!...I intend to kill every coon and possum on the place....they shoulda took the food I left out away from the pens and been happy with it...ITS too late now! IF I LIVE FOR ANOTHER WEEK THEY WILL DIE! GAURANTEED! SO its back to the tree stand tonite....and there will be no coming in before daylight..I will not lose another chicken...period!

June 3rd, 2011, 7:14 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

sorry to hear of your losses. here coons aren't the diggers, but red foxes or dogs. i was req'd to add threseholds below doors to prevent foxes digging into pens, when I used walk in pens.
for every problem there is a solution

Attachments:
File comment: the solution
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 24.37 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

June 3rd, 2011, 7:36 am
Stag
Stag

CUDA wrote:
I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll say it again...get you a good chicken dog. You can build pens like fort knox, put up fences, and hot wire, but none of that will make as much difference a dog will make.

so what is a good chicken dog?

June 5th, 2011, 3:35 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

One that won't eat chicken :say lol

June 5th, 2011, 5:10 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Sorry to hear that, that just really sucks....hopefully you have some more to keep going with? Hey Buckscocks, do you know any coonhunters, or can you contact a coonhunter? Get them out there, tell them they can hunt every night, and to kill everyone they tree/see...have had farmers tell me that when coon were tearing up their crops, man, for a coonhunter, that is a great pup training seminar when coon are that thick. You have hounds runnin in there for a couple three weeks, and the coon will scatter....the few that survive...wish I lived close to you. I have a 6 year old ntch that can just seine the woods of coon, hunts like a cur dog when alone, never opens his mouth til he is treed

June 5th, 2011, 8:10 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

kenneth wrote:
CUDA wrote:

so what is a good chicken dog?

I run Gp's, but there are others as well like Catahoula, and Anatolian Shepherds.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

June 5th, 2011, 8:56 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Chick
Chick

I have a gp and a catahoula. Haven't lost a bird. i keep the gp in with the chickens and let the catahoula run free. nothing comes close to the birds.

June 6th, 2011, 11:20 am
Profile E-mail