It is currently September 1st, 2014, 6:26 pm

Predator Question 
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Predator Question
Two nights ago around 2 AM I awoke to a gawd awful noise. It sounded like a chicken being killed not in inches, but in 1/2 inches. AWFUL! I turned on light and opened door and it stopped. What was weird was I swore it was a COUPLE chickens at the same time, which I thought was weird. My chickens are behind 6' high (with tip in) 9 guage chain link with small chicken wire on the bottom. At night they go into a very good shed, but their door is open (about 10" x 18" tall).

It started up again a couple hours later and same thing, stopped when the light went on and door opened. One of my pit bulls was tethered near by and was not barking.

In the AM there are three birds, all smallish, with JUST THE HEADS AND NECKS missing.

Is this an owl? If so, would it actually GO INTO the house? Is that why it sounded like the birds inside were making such weird sounds? This has really got me. I can't imagine it was a land animal and the dog not go off.

Please help with suggestions!! Has not been repeated. Yet.

July 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Post Re: Predator Question
one of your answerer about a owl is yes they do walk on the ground and find prey and ways into cages hawks will as well they usually tear off the head first and eat the head then pluck the back clean and so on but usually get one a night could be a mink or a coon

Web Site:
http://nixfamilygamefarm.yolasite.com/

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000172737947

July 10th, 2011, 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

also forgot that cats will pack the heads off to

Web Site:

Facebook:

July 10th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

You need wire on top of the pen. It could be an owl but. An owl would need to see its prey. Unlikley it would light inside a fence and walk into a pen to see what it could find. Do you here the owls at night? Who cooks for you, Who cooks for you, Who cooks for you all. Owl will fly off with its prey unles tethered. Then it will take the head and brest. If you dont touch it it will come back for the other half of the brest the next night if weather permitting.I would look for something small with 4 legs.

July 10th, 2011, 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

finch owls will walk in pens i have caught a owl in mine for years it was small but grown now hant loss a one from him but has the rats in check caught him walking few times in my barn they very smart but he hant got a chicken yet but have been scared the hell out of when u walk in a barn and a owl bout run over you

Web Site:

Facebook:

July 10th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

The most awful noise I ever heard a chicken make. I had to go see. By the time I got my boots on the noise stopped. Grabbed the 12 gauge on my way out the door and found my Great Pyrenees had what I thought to be a coon. As I realized the "Ohh Chit!!" came to mind. It was a huge Barn Owl. The hens head was gone. Just to keep it legal I did call Game and Fish. They came and took the owl and made sure it didn't have any lead holes in it. Very well could be an owl. I would suggest if you hear that sound again. Get your boots on and go check. The best thing you can do is scare it away and get a Pyrenees.....

July 10th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Ohh, I also have one of those baby monitors out by my yard. My wife hates it. But helps to hear!!!

July 10th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Roof- yes, owl- yes, spotted owl, heaven help you, LOL :mrgreen: . 3 things, #1-roof, we covered that,LOL :mrgreen: #2-Owl decoy THERE at pen! They are territorial so he will try to whip this interloper, that stands like a stone wall, and move on.com :mrgreen: LOL#3- FLASHING light. Not bright, but flashing. I could rig you a 1960's low tech circuit that would work with old style ,incandescent lamp, all you need w/low wattage lamp. Flocks their night vision all to shell. wattage would be critical to maintain size I put in for you, fixing current thereby rate of on-off. McGiver was stealing my thunder :mrgreen: LOL

July 10th, 2011, 10:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could be a possum too. Seen many a dog that show no interest in a stinkin' possum, and they love to eat the crops out of chickens, and the heads. If you want one of those flashing light deals, we have a sponsor to the site that sells them quite reasonable.

Now I have to ask this, because I know damn well if I heard a ruckus in the chicken yard, out comes the spotlight and the shotgun! Why didn't you go out and check out what was going on? Even with excellent pens, and a protected yard, and a good dog, stuff can still get to the birds. My GP does make country block rounds, so he isn't on the yard 100% of the time. The good thing with that though, is there is a shortage of critters for a couple of country blocks out my way, so they got a long way to come in...lol! Whatever it is, hope you get it.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

July 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

ive had a problem with a weasel that did something like this, but have also had a gray fox kill about the same way. you definitely need to have a talk with your dog, if mine hears the birds screamin he is there whether a predator is around or not. but i broke him that way just by takin him out with me every time a heard a racket.

July 11th, 2011, 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail