It is currently August 1st, 2014, 7:22 pm

FLOCK MANAGEMENT TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE PREDATOR CONTROL 
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post FLOCK MANAGEMENT TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE PREDATOR CONTROL
Over the last 25 years, I have had to ratchet up my defenses and countermeasures to avoid establishing feeding stations for local carnivores. To me it is usually intuitive, other solution require a bit more ingenuity. It's effective, but not absolute. I can't comprehind an inability of a human being to be completely outwitted by animals frankly, their motivation to survive is not lazy. There is no helping lazy, neglect, or indifference before the fact., but , failure to prepare can be corrected. There are pretty straight forward concepts, tactics, and strategy to prevent and minimize, that simply don't require 24/7 free ranging dogs, electric fences or pulling guard duty every night with my rifle. When something is probing, testing, or otherwise persisting, I certainly want to be aware before he is sucessful. Effective pens are not minimalist in design, concept or construction, But simple . Would discussion help here that matter or would it be percieved insultingly?

Last edited by Carr on July 12th, 2011, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2011, 7:30 am
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: FLOCK MANAGEMENT TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE PREDATOR CONTROL
Well I must be lazy. I am currently being plagued by coons. They are avoiding (live baited) leg hold and box traps and keep changing their routine and approach. Night before last the tore up my hyderbad cock "Chuckie" pretty bad but he's hanging in there this morning. Last night no sign of visit. These SOBs are diabolical.

July 11th, 2011, 8:19 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

herb try cat food or sardines. better then live bait for coons.

July 11th, 2011, 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Have put out cat food, tuna, and honey buns. I have a sacrifice hen surrounded by foot traps.

July 11th, 2011, 9:12 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Yeah Herb, I wish not to be insulting at all to any one, especially a buddy, except when it is an UNDERSTOOD form of humor. I regret you realize now that a coon or possum can grap a bird thru whatevers there. I have a night vision scope on a 10/22, because I have had loses. I hate you aren't close enough to loan night rig. I understand these losses are occuring adjacent to your house. I'd have to go with Fort Knox approach away from the house, since you cannot respond to first cries of alarm.
Pens to are able to prevent most attacks will prevent majority of losses, keeping varmints out not keeping chickens in, low cost lighting solutions can be a great help, positioning is the most important aspect.
I can't trust what mischief my Jack Russell will get into unsupervised. He does let me knows there's trouble brewing out back from his pen out back.
Sardines, jack mackeral, chopped up small bream kept just to balance a farmpond all great coon bait, take the shine of traps with walnut hulls or browning for blackpowder arms, only oil with cod liver oil, and for leg hold hang / suspend bait like for a fox, with him focusing on the bait he'll not visually pickup the trap.cover trap with dry leaves crumpled in your hands. I bait at same place here intercepting thier route of attack HERE. I'd would also be watching thru little black and whie TV in green, oh well- good luck

July 11th, 2011, 9:39 am
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I dont know how many coons I've caught in live traps in the last month...I stopped counting around a couple of weeks ago and then I had caught 9...I have caught 0 in the leg hold traps...I dont get it....I have them set everywhere....I quit a few days ago with those ...but will keep live traps set till the end of time ...(or till my lifes over which ever comes first)...havent caught but 2 possums...that surprised me being this close to the water with the drought and all...but the coons just keep coming...and my rifle barrel stays warm...I'm looking around at dogs too,..I dont sleep much anymore...have baby moniters set amongst pens and one by my bed...that has helped more than anything I've done...at least with that I can get SOME SLEEP ...and thats far better than none...lol...the war goes on...I'm about to build a 150' x 150' pen to house my brood pens...as soon as I can afford it...I quess i'm gonna have to rob fort knox....lol...up untill a few months ago I had an old mutt here that killed anything that came into the yard...you dont realize how valuable a dog like that is untill hes gone...God what I'd give to have that old dog back...he dissappeared....probably outnumbered by coyotes,,,If I could afford it I'd just fence in several acres around the house here...but with a 150 x 150 ft fence requiring robbing fort knox I just dont think fencing a few acres is possible...lol...yfis, Buck Sellers .. ... PS.. I oiled 2 of the live traps the other day...wondered if that would deter coons from entering trap...it obviously didnt...I caught one in each trap that night...I dont think folks have as many coons around as I do...but I dont think I would have that many around if I didnt live on a pond....they have to have water...and with the drought they cant get it anywhere else...

July 11th, 2011, 10:37 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

I have had drought years where the coons just coming in waves, the year my ATN NV bought. w/o frogs, crwdads, etc, chicken a la carte was only thing around I guess. With hens with chicks, inability to see coon, or fox pacing , lunging and other thinks I've seen them do, while help them to stick, once she's gone postal, baby chicks come running out like a great big paaz dispenser. Coon or possom climbing up outside and reaching in and taking a big bite o'rooster easily stopped by by placing ratwire, junk refrigerator shelf, etc. BUCK, yo call Carr, don't build a monster pen, those you bought last year can be made bullet proof for ALOT less. Carpet pulled off floorsand recovered, bit of Small mess wire hen boxes Brother those pens should be your foundationand corrected. I'm sure I'll end up coming to see you , the doc, and young buck this fall!

July 11th, 2011, 11:20 am
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

My best predator control is having good pens and checking for evidence of tampering every day. I never lose anything kept inside wire to anything but coons and only lose birds to hawks when they're retired and allowed to run around the woods. We have fox, possum, owl, hawks and the only thing that ever tries to get a bird behind wire are the coons. I check the ground around the pens and all the cage trays, waterers and feeders daily to make sure there has been no digging or rummaging during the night. As soon as I see any evidence, the live trap gets set with cracked eggs and I usually catch the coon.

July 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

live traps are a good thing if you set them ever night it can save you a many of the time and as for pens i have had coons kill in wire cages and dogs even cats just cause your bird in a pen dont mean its safe and in all my years I never would say my fowl be fine its in a cage a fox can dig in side a cage in like 10 mins and so can opossums you can check for the sings but most of the time its to late and you go out side to feathers

Web Site:
http://nixfamilygamefarm.yolasite.com/

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000172737947

July 11th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

That's true, that's one of the only times I lose a bird without warning. But it's only ever been coons, and the birds have to be sleeping up against the only section of wire that the coons can reach through. Everything else has been ignoring me for 16 years, but there's wire on top and wire buried in the ground just in case.

July 11th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail