It is currently April 21st, 2014, 12:45 am

FLOCK MANAGEMENT TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE PREDATOR CONTROL 
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: FLOCK MANAGEMENT TO PROVIDE EFFECTIVE PREDATOR CONTROL
Ditto your reply faile, My dog alerts me to unsettled birds, Yes it's an evolving progess. for some time I have added small mesh wire against where birds naturally press against when on perch,etc. and when I had walk-in pens, I even had to add threshold to check big red foxes digging under a door. I have 50 -100 young fowl free ranging during the day, so traps are neither desired or even required. It is the pens job to protect and shelter fowl. I've told me wife for years, if predators have gotten my birds, it is my fault, not the predator, I didn't do my job !

July 12th, 2011, 7:02 am
Stag
Stag

There is only one sure fire solution I have found over the years and that is to lock them up or fence in your whole yard and get a good dog. I prefer my guard dog in the house at night so I go with locking them up. Granted this won't work for the bigger farms, but I've often wondered with all the money folks tie up in these birds why not put up a steel pole barn? $10 grand over a lifetime of raising birds doesn't seem all that unrealistic IMO.

I bought this Farm two years ago primarily for this building, which my wife thought I was thoroughly insane for at the time. The only bird I have lost in 2 years happened about a month ago. It was a young free range Kelso stag that liked it back in the woodlot.

Before:

After:

I can house about 60-80 birds, pens inside are 4X4 or 4X8.

Last edited by ddroland on July 12th, 2011, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2011, 8:22 am
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

ddroland wrote:
There is only one sure fire solution I have found over the years and that is to lock them up or fence in your whole yard and get a good dog. I prefer my guard dog in the house at night so I go with locking them up. Granted this won't work for the bigger farms, but I've often wondered with all the money folks tie up in these birds why not put up a steel pole barn? $10 grand over a lifetime of raising birds doesn't seem all that unrealistic IMO.

I bought this Farm two years ago primarily for this building, which my wife thought I was thoroughly insane for at the time.

Before:

After:

I can house about 60-80 birds, pens inside are 4X4 or 4X8.

I love it man now all you need is the north and south rooster blowing in the wind on top :thumb :thumb :thumb

Web Site:
http://nixfamilygamefarm.yolasite.com/

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000172737947

July 12th, 2011, 8:26 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

EXCELLENT very nice structure, very well restored. It would be a hard call to make whether my wife would have commited me or buried me out back, LOL

July 12th, 2011, 8:32 am
Stag
Stag

Carr wrote:
EXCELLENT very nice structure, very well restored. It would be a hard call to make whether my wife would have commited me or buried me out back, LOL

Funny how our wives seldom share our "vision", LOL. I still get the eye roll when boxes of birds show up at the house.

Secure lock up is the only effective way I have found over the years to keep stuff from getting my birds. I would love to do tie cords or hoops but the losses would be too great around here. Hawks are another issue, but my birds seem to instinctively spend 90% of their time underneath all the rows of young pines and mature box elders. This has been critical to minimizing the success of avian predators. When my birds make it to 6 months they seem to know the drill on how to stay alive.

July 12th, 2011, 11:24 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Individual pens can also be made secure. My young free range and return to mothers pen at night, and even that reasonably simple to accomplish reasonably secure. My greatest losses are from one another out on the yard, as they show their colors early, the most difficult management issue that I (and others with birds from me) have to continuously juggle.

July 12th, 2011, 11:49 am