It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 5:04 pm

what kind of preator am I Looking for? 
Stag
Stag

Post what kind of preator am I Looking for?
I have building with some hamburgs in it. Up until a few days ago there were some silkies in it too. For a few nights in a row, one of the silkies was killed and eaten down to the rack and feathers. I thought maybe the hamburgs were killing them,, so I removed the silkies that were left and put them in a Hardware cloth enclosure in the other building. Last night I lost a hamburg! these birds are about 8-9 weeks old and I don't know where something is getting in or what is killing them? I set a trap ( so the birds couldn't get in it) and the night before last, caught a really big rat. Tonight I am taking the hamburgs out of there too, and setting some traps with the body bones that they left last night. What animal does it sound Like I am haveing a problem with?

It is some frustrating, I worked so hard to obtain and raise these birds for breeding. Something has to be caught!

July 16th, 2011, 9:00 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: what kind of preator am I Looking for?
Sounds like a possum to me.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

July 16th, 2011, 9:07 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Know It All!
Know It All!

Without seeing your pens I'd have a hard time determining what is getting in your pen. ie size of max opening. A possum can go into opening that it can get it's head thru, like a rat. Small possums lethal rack you mean backbone?

July 16th, 2011, 9:23 am
Stag
Stag

But "rack" I mean the back bone, ribs, wing bones and leg bones. The building is a plywood building with a plywood floor. The windows open, but they have 1/2 x1" welded wire over it. I went out after dark the other night, turned the lights on and looked for holes out through. I found one and fixed it. The only other thing I see is that the door can be pryed out on the bottom, a couple of inches. I will put a "button" at the bottom of the door, so that can't happen. but first I want to catch whatever it is that is causing the problem. I am just not sure how, since I don't know what it is. I am not sure that we have possums around here, but I have seen a couple of cats around, but I don't think they can get in though.

July 16th, 2011, 10:40 am
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Fix that door, that's enough for something to get through and I learned that one year when a coon got into my duck pen and killed all my ducks. The sucker pryed the bottom of the door open and fed it's vermin offspring through the wire. You might have a whole family of something nasty, if they're returning every night and eating a whole bird. You can fix your pen up tight and put the trap right outside the door. The nasty thing will try to get in, decide the trap is much easier, and go for it. I find the leftovers to be very effective bait, and throwing some fresh eggs on top won't hurt either. Push against everything on your pen, make sure nothing else can come loose, and you'll be much better off.

July 18th, 2011, 12:09 am
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

I removed the birds to secure cages, untill I can get the door fixed, set the traps inside right around the last kill. So far I have caught 3 very large rats! They are about 7" long excluding the tail ( about 13" counting the tail). My building was pretty much right on the ground, so I lifted it up 6" and I am going to bring it up a few more, and put some posts under it, so that rats don't have a place to live under it and that cats can roam under it, and fix the door then put the birds back in. How much space should I have under it do you think?

Thanks for all the helpful advice, MM

July 18th, 2011, 3:55 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Brother,
You have scores of rats, then. Bait stations of best availible poison best, Insure that rat bait is not accessible to other animals.
I prefer "pole shed" construction, ground is floor. Whether dug out or elevated for drainage, 4-6" of "pea gravel" then 4-6" sand. pea gravel will collapse into an filling vermins holes and tunnels. Wooden structures that would attract rats, such as corn crib, were elevated 30- to 36 " on stilts or piers. Tall enough for dog to patrol. Inside corn crib, floor and walls were covered with any availible sheet metal. Rats would still make it in much to the joy of the 6 1/2 - 7 ' Black Rat Snake that often required moving to access corn for jackass and mules.

July 18th, 2011, 2:03 pm
Cockerel
Cockerel

yeap rats will eat chicks alive,, damn little bastards,, better get a bunch of rat poison and bonb them damn thangs brother,,,

January 17th, 2012, 9:54 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Rats it is.....:)..did you know that you can get an idea of whats killing your birds by how your bird is eaten or killed..

January 17th, 2012, 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

A Game cam can be placed inside the building. The pictures it takes will tell the story!

January 17th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail