It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 2:28 am

Banjo 
Stag
Stag

Post Banjo
We bought Banjo just a couple weeks ago to help watch our growing flock. Just a few weeks before Banjo moved in, we had a large german shephard come through the farm and seriously wound one of my hen turkeys before I heard the commotion and got out there with my 12 gauge. The dog knew I was serious and took off running, I only had bird shot and only peppered him on his way out. Well Banjo is just a bit over 10 weeks now and pretty much just a big fluff ball but he's doing good so far and gets along great with the chickens and our two Tom cats. I was in the house doing some chores and heard little Banjo barking like crazy which is unusual, so I went out to investigate. The german shephard has returned and Banjo is underneath one of my chairs just barking away, this time I had a .270 ready just in case this dog came back. Needless to say the german shephard did not get the chance to kill or wound anything this time but had everything stirred up real well. Ole Banjo came out from under that chair feeling proud, I gave him a big pat on the head and told him to keep it up. I'm glad we decided to get ourselves a Great Pyrenees, and look forward to watching him grow and protecting the farm.

“As long as the Almighty permitted intelligent men, created in his image and likeness, to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it’s not for me to deprive the chickens of the same privilege.”
– Abraham Lincoln

August 4th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Re: Banjo
Best of luck with him falkor :thumb

August 4th, 2011, 1:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

You will soon be sure that is the single most best investment you ever made. I have 5 and thankfull I do.

August 4th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I need one or 2 myself...anyone in driving distance got pups? I'm in Chesterfield South Carolina..Buck Sellers ..PS doiesnt have to be GP...any stock dogs will do...

August 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Well this is a sad morning for us. A little update on Banjo. I had decided at first to raise just one pup at a time, as we are not very knowledgeable on training dogs with chickens. Well we were visiting a farm about a month ago and a catahoula caught my eye so I bought him. Everything was going good until a few days ago. I had 5 biddies about a month old that had roosted outside and I didn't put them up the night before, well they killed one and had it half eaten. Instead of beating the dogs mercilessly, we spent half the day trying to work with them and tried to assert pack leadership. Well this morning each pup had a 4-5 month old layer one was dead, the other was mangled, seemed as though they were just chewing on them. I'm lost on what to do as we cannot afford to lose any more chickens and we have $250 invested in these pups, not including feed and shots. My wife is very upset and just wants to shoot them, I feel like they would make good dogs for someone. Any suggestions? :cry:

“As long as the Almighty permitted intelligent men, created in his image and likeness, to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it’s not for me to deprive the chickens of the same privilege.”
– Abraham Lincoln

September 3rd, 2011, 7:45 am
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

That is awesome. I only have one cat looking after 4 birds. Dogs would come in my yard but I am outside most of the time.

September 3rd, 2011, 7:48 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Falkor1 wrote:
Well this is a sad morning for us. A little update on Banjo. I had decided at first to raise just one pup at a time, as we are not very knowledgeable on training dogs with chickens. Well we were visiting a farm about a month ago and a catahoula caught my eye so I bought him. Everything was going good until a few days ago. I had 5 biddies about a month old that had roosted outside and I didn't put them up the night before, well they killed one and had it half eaten. Instead of beating the dogs mercilessly, we spent half the day trying to work with them and tried to assert pack leadership. Well this morning each pup had a 4-5 month old layer one was dead, the other was mangled, seemed as though they were just chewing on them. I'm lost on what to do as we cannot afford to lose any more chickens and we have $250 invested in these pups, not including feed and shots. My wife is very upset and just wants to shoot them, I feel like they would make good dogs for someone. Any suggestions? :cry:

I'd take awAy the second dog , and try banjo on his own again! It sounds like the introduction off the second dog , sparked things off! I've terriers here and if they got loose , they wouldn't leave me a feather! But all the gundogs I have won't touch my birds cause they were raised with them' and they know better :bat:

September 3rd, 2011, 7:56 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Falkor get rid of the catahoula. Work on the GP. You cant beat GP's they dont take to it. You are going to have to pen her till you have it broke let it out only when you are with it. It will take some time but it will be well worth it. Pen it with a couple of hens and watch her and train her. In my opinion GP's should be enclosed in a yard with what they are guarding. If let to free range most tend to roam to far and thats no good.

September 3rd, 2011, 8:25 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Two pups will get in a lot more trouble than just 1. Ever seen a couple kids get into trouble for stuff that neither kid would have dared doing alone? Dogs, especially puppies are the same way. Seems they spend their time trying to outdo each other in trouble they can get into. I have coonhunted my whole life, and have trained countless young dogs. You NEVER take two puppies out at night together, it is less than wasted time and effort, it often starts bad habits. They pay way more attention to each other than you. Good luck.

September 3rd, 2011, 8:36 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

Yes I've just let the pups and yard birds free range the yard and surrounding fields. Every day the pups seem to drag more things up to chew on, they have a little spot in the backyard that I call the "graveyard" where they have dragged up random bones and other things they find, of course this is where I found the two young pullets this morning. My wife is under the assumption that once they kill a chicken they will always kill them, but I do think proper training can produce positive results, we've just never trained a chicken dog. I honestly just thought we could throw them out their as pups with the chickens and they would learn, now I know that is not true. I think penning him up with a couple cheap layers is a good idea, I don't really have a pen big enough right now, only 4x8's maybe that will just have to work until I can build a bigger one.

– Abraham Lincoln

September 3rd, 2011, 8:56 am
Profile E-mail