It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 11:24 am

Banjo 
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Banjo
Only put the hens in with him when you are there. Then you can reinforce no. Then praise when he is good. Gp's are smart dogs but they are very different then regular dogs. Google Great pyrenese and read. But there best to train with praise and words. Ive seen GP's that were man shy from Hitting and you dont want one of those. handle his feet alot and roll him over on his back that way when he is older you can trim Dew claws and doctor him . Get him used to that. If not you will regret it. Spend time with him. Let him do chores with you. But keep an eye on him. It will take time but it will be worth it.

September 3rd, 2011, 9:12 am
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Yes he does chores with me and gets tons of praise when I feel he's doing good, never have we had a problem during the day, only at night when they get bored and start roaming around, I think they got these pullets right before the sun came up as I get out on the yard right after daybreak. He seems to do very well when we are outside and all through the day, I believe the addition of the catahoula has made them a bit misbehaved while we are sleeping. I could pen him up with the entire flock during the day and he would not touch a feather, but they have gotten mischievous when they know we aren't looking.

“As long as the Almighty permitted intelligent men, created in his image and likeness, to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it’s not for me to deprive the chickens of the same privilege.”
– Abraham Lincoln

September 3rd, 2011, 9:25 am
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

We rescued an adult pyr mix several years ago. The pyrs and very sensitive, no physical discipline. We trained ours the same as anything else, watch, when she ignored birds, praise and treats. If she chased birds, we just yell at her, or grab her collar-that's all it takes with her, that would upset her for a week. By herself, she is super with sheep , geese, and goats, pretty good with chickens, ok with cats, and worthless with ducks. We have problems if we let any of the other dogs with her, however-things end up dead that way, they play off each other,like teenagers, as got game says. If you are going to have a second dog, get another pyr.

Well, finch has also given you some excellent answers-keep working at it, you will be glad in the end you did!!

September 3rd, 2011, 12:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Here's Banjo today....couldn't ask for a better dog....or should I said kid, he's not yet a year old and still very puppy like, but nothing messes with his yard!

“As long as the Almighty permitted intelligent men, created in his image and likeness, to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it’s not for me to deprive the chickens of the same privilege.”
– Abraham Lincoln

March 23rd, 2012, 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Falkor, Do you know if Ron has any pups?

March 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

No he doesn't, his bitch is too old nowadays. He's looking for some himself.

– Abraham Lincoln

March 23rd, 2012, 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail