It is currently September 18th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 I NEED YOUR OPINION,WHICH ONE IS THE BEST DOG FOR THE FARM? 
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: I NEED YOUR OPINION,WHICH ONE IS THE BEST DOG FOR THE FARM?
Damn, I have to agree with Jimmyo- a man's life over a chicken or even all the chickens you have. Nope

On the other hand- warning shots? Nope

If you are talking to me and I'm holding a gun, you are either beside me or about to have a very bad day. Never ever produce a gun unless you have the know how and will to use it.

I currently do a a lawyer retained.

February 10th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

here my kids German shep & Belgian very good for house . my dog bring me a man shoe with blood on it .?? i live i city phoenix.

Attachments:
buck & lu'lu` 016.JPG
buck & lu'lu` 016.JPG [ 101.77 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]
February 10th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Dang I am cracking up reading all this.

But seriously, not much gets me madder than to find out a person is coming around here up to no good. There's a few houses but my property border 1000 acres of private managed game land (that my family manages and hunts on) and there are gated roads, tweaker pulled over all the time. I ride up in the truck, flash the lights, hint hint get the H out of here. They poach the management property, they let their D dogs run loose to kill whatever. Houses have started gettin broken into all of a sudden....I have no dog and a ten month old son....and a LOT of expensive chickens. Wanna steal something??? I also have a LOT of expensive guns lol. If I hear gunshots, I don't think much cuz I'm not paranoid and not doing anything wrong but the one that is will probably think twice. I human life ain't worth a chicken or two but just by chance they get needin a tweak bad enough and they try to come in the house. It has happened..... As a child in middle school, I woke up to a man sitting next to my bed. Complete stranger. In the country, doors unlocked. He came in the window. Smoke some cigs in the house, stole nothing. I don't think he was just a petty thief, that sucker was up to something before I woke up and asked him who he was and he got up and walked out just as pretty as you please like he owned the place......no fear at all. So yeah, I'm not willing to give many chances. You strange on my property, something bad might happen involving lead lol

February 10th, 2012, 5:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Its not a matter of chickens, its a matter of folks not respecting others property. I agree with you vetgirl, I do the same thing. My property is posted. It says keep out. Cant get much clearer than that. As far as a mans life is worth, A mans life is worth more than any animal, but a theif or a tweeker, child molester, they aint worth spit.

February 10th, 2012, 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Theres a song i heard with a good line in it "This place is protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son." I like that song.

February 10th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

simialr great line from one of the greatest movies ever, lock stock and two smoking barrells.

February 11th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Ha! I like the way you think Finch, about a "man's" life... A man don't steal chickens. I'm not a big gun person; though I feel if you keep livestock you should keep one around for putting stuff out of its misery. That's what my friends always kidded me about my shot gun with all my pit bulls around... Just puttin someone out of their misery if they broke in here. :lol:

Quote:
Hell, the way society is today, you would be worse off if your Pit attacked someone than if you shot them, and that's just sad.

Truer words were never spoken, though I'm not sure we would agree on WHY it is just sad.

"Most" gamebred pitties aren't all that people aggressive, but I've rarely met one that wouldn't rise to the occassion, training or no training, when things were real. But over all, they are THE LAST dog I would suggest for a "farm guard dog" for several reasons, the most important being

* A pit bull MUST ALWAYS be contained to you property - and they can get over any fence you ever thought of
* Their high prey drive will require quite a bit of training to keep them off stock
* The good ones don't do much barking: barking is a defensive behavior and most pit bulls aren't "defensive" - they are offensive
* They don't look that scarey ( a pit bull is not a large dog - and the large ones aren't pit bulls)

So, WHAT is the best farm dog? My pyr/maremma appears to not be working out!

March 22nd, 2012, 1:21 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Why isint it working out?

March 22nd, 2012, 7:23 am
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Its all in how you train them and raise them.Pits have tremendous prey drive but you use that to your advantage.They are not stupid either.If you dont want them killing chickens all it takes is patience and time if you have neither then you dont need pits.Havent lost a chicken to any kind of predator in 2 years.How many people can say that.I still say pits are the choice dog for guarding if you work with them.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Just read thru this again...Godwins entry on page 1 is great! You Go Godwin!! lmao...Buck Sellers

March 23rd, 2012, 6:13 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6