It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 12:35 am

Hawks?? 
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Hawks??
Will a game stag fight off a hawk? I had some birds out on cords, and upon hearing the birds start freaking out, i looked outside in time to see a hawk take off from the ground, right where I had an asil stag tied. The stag was fine except he was missing a few tail feathers. Couldn't figure out why he flew off without getting his meal first .

December 30th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Re: Hawks??
don't know, but bet some on here do...

December 30th, 2011, 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Ive had a 3/4 Reynolds Asil, 1/4 Reynolds Shamo that I saw break into a run, jump up and nail a Marsh Hawk female years ago, when she had leveled her dive before hitting hen with chicks. Without seeing hard to speculate so to say what happen

December 30th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Watched a big Law grey back when I was in high school protect a wounded hen from a pair of hawks. He would fly up and meet them in mid air as they would come in on their dives. Paced back and forth around the hen, head tilted to keep an eye on the raptors. Was something to see...

December 31st, 2011, 1:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

A cock will definitely go after a hawk.We have big red tail hawks aka chicken hawks and my rir rooster was free ranging with hens and a hawk nailed a hen and boy he took off after that hawk and the hawk flew away so fast.I never heard of a young stag doing that but he's a game fowl so it would make since that he tagged that hawk.Or maybe the hawk missed since he's missing tail feathers but i d like to think he nailed it.

December 31st, 2011, 1:57 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

A young hawk possibly. An adult hawk not gonna be swayed to leave. Birds on tie cords like ducks in barrel.

December 31st, 2011, 9:34 am
Know It All!
Know It All!

Couple weeks ago, looking out back window and saw a hawk come in on a game hen with chicks. She hit him about 2 feet off the ground with a good solid smack. The hawk left.

December 31st, 2011, 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

WOW, a hen!
The cock here was free ranging at the hawk a hen, full grown, and yeah, it was pretty amazing sight, PC. I've had a cock here Chan ask me to check out, nearly kill a barred owl by the shear volume of feathers, that apparently flew into it's barrel. I've seen the same hawk fighter of mine break individual dogs from even considering bothering him or his charge- to include a border collie, Chesapeake and Jack Russell.
Predators are seeking easily killed prey, not something that will defend itself

December 31st, 2011, 10:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Closest I ever saw was a hawk make a swoop, but the birds screams had already woke up the big white monster and he was all over it, so he never had a chance to try again. ;)

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

December 31st, 2011, 10:04 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

This time of year seem like coopers hawks take doves above my yard 4 five times a day (that I can see). They mostly will go for doves and small chicks. I have seen a JG hen go up 6 ft to meet a swooping hawk and have had game hens chase perching hawks of fences and pens. My dogs Anatolians and the others will chase them off and bark as the fly over. Have seen female Anatolian pluck tail feather of one not two months ago as it made a pass behind my new brood pens. I think once the hawk is on the ground it becomes a more level fight. If it’s a mature cock with some good tools anything can happen I suppose.

December 31st, 2011, 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW