It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Coyotes 
Chick
Chick

Post Coyotes
Got a bad problem with coyotes since my gp ran away. I still have my catahoula but shes way out numbered. lost most of my birds to these pieces of crap. Looking for another guard dog but until then i need to figure out a way to thin them out a bit. Bought a call and tried hunting them but i had better luck without the call. Killed two in deer season but it sounds like there is at least two packs around. My wife let her little wiener dog out to go pee tonight and they about ate him, but they were long gone by the time i got my gun and spotlight. any advice?

January 23rd, 2012, 10:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Coyotes
Snares and poison work the best but none are selective so you need to watch your dogs and the neighbors. Electric calls work great but are expensive.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Tried an electric call a few times and didn't have any luck. I have my dogs close to the house, so im thinking about setting up some poison back on the bluff. no neighbors so dont gotta worry about that.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

That sucks, KYG, I really don't know if you are using barrels or not. Using pens helps big time, having photocell controlled lighting is a big help, IF lights are placed about 6 feet high and aimed at the point of approach. ai use CFL floods so total wattage used at night is less than 100 watts. There are coyotes all around me but avoid my property now. before having this set-up, I missed sleep on many nights as required to kill whatever predator was zeroing in on my birds. Live trapping works, but has it's drawbacks. When racoons, red fox, and coyotes were a major probelm. I purchased ATN Gen I NV scope, have had it on a 17HMR and currently 10/22, but should be mounted on a 22 cal. centerfire for coyotes. They they have brains, excellent nose, and keen eyes, but really aren't looking for me on the second floor window of the garage, or on the roof of my house. Google Varmit Al's site re: calling, and I think remote controlled best, don't bring them to you , bring them where you can see them. recording pullet screaming bloody murder outta work, can be recorded on computer and downloaded on MP3 player an pumped thru Al's caller you make,( I already had the mini-amp and horn)
Doc traps 'em sucesfully.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:42 pm
Chick
Chick

A Treble Hook, about 2" in diameter (3 pronged fishing hook) hung with a steel cable about 4 feet from the ground , and attached to a tree limb that they can`t break, and then baited with chicken Liver...You will find them hanging, or the roof of their mouths torn out....Be sure to pen up Your own dogs though...Carry Your Gun when checking Hooks..

January 25th, 2012, 1:43 am
Profile E-mail

I use steel jaw traps. These have a rubber covering over the steel; this way, no legs are broken. During season (can you believe there is a season!) we sell them to hunting plantations in the Low Country. The run them with Fox Hounds.
Price is down this year: $75 each. In past years the fetched $100 each.
During off-season we can obtain permits to trap them but we have to kill them once trapped.

You can see some of mine in photos on here.

If you need to know how to most effectively setup the traps just let me know and I'll explain it.

January 25th, 2012, 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

doc wrote:
I use steel jaw traps. These have a rubber covering over the steel; this way, no legs are broken. During season (can you believe there is a season!) we sell them to hunting plantations in the Low Country. The run them with Fox Hounds.
Price is down this year: $75 each. In past years the fetched $100 each.
During off-season we can obtain permits to trap them but we have to kill them once trapped.

You can see some of mine in photos on here.

If you need to know how to most effectively setup the traps just let me know and I'll explain it.

$75 each....I got to change occupations and become a real hunter...:)

January 25th, 2012, 11:56 am
Profile E-mail

During season and as I said that is $25 lower than last year.

January 25th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Chick
Chick

I got a couple steel traps, gonna set them tomorrow. went scouting today and found what looks to be a couple dens. Big rocks up on the bluff with what seems to be tunnels dug up under them. Should i set them close to that or down in a field somewhere?

January 26th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

Trapping is the only way to go for Coyotes, but be aware, they get smart real quick to most standard trap sets. Snares will also work well, but are not dog friendly. There are many versions of dog proof leg traps, "proof" in that they won't injure the foot. Go here: http://www.fntpost.com/?gclid=CJqAg6n27q0CFUSo4AodGgsQvQ, get a catalog and couple instructional DVDs and it can turn your "problem" in to some actual fun.

Calls work short term, but they get wise to them almost immediately and lose their effectiveness. Here in PA you can legally shoot them by spot light with a valid hunting liscense as well.

January 26th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail