It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:38 am

Coyotes 
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Coyotes
If you found the dens your work is cut out for you. Go make you about 6 meatballs and pitch them down in. This time of year you want to eliminate your problem. Your not out for a pleasure trip. Not to condem your way ddroland. But if I set traps and theres a dog in one when I check it. He isint going to be moving when I take it out. The least of his worrys is going to be his foot.

January 26th, 2012, 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Chick
Chick

Im pretty sure there were some in it when i found it but i think they went to the bottom and layed still. They are dug way back under big rocks. Im about to go get a rabbit or two for bait for when i set those traps tomorrow. I had my .22 with me today but i didn't see any coyotes. Didn't really expect to since they are pretty smart but i wanted to find where they were bedding up. There are enough around here already, I dont need to allow them to breed without killing a bunch.

January 26th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail

If you really want to catch coyotes then it helps to have more than bait. Bait should be set in a hole about 8-10 inches in depth dug at an angle. Hammer it down with a spike. Set the traps around the hole and lightly cover with loose earth.

Once you get your first one DON'T KILL IT. Put it in a pen that is above the ground for a few days. Below this put a catch-basin. Now you are ready! Use the collected urine around your traps. (It will have the same odor as that of a skunk). This will draw them in from a 2 to 3 mile area which is what you want: TO GET THEM ALL. This must be repeated (urine) after each rain.

January 26th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Chick
Chick

Sounds fun, throwing an angry coyote into a cage haha. Wouldn't it be easier to kill him, cut him open and remove his urine sack? Im a rookie at this so getting him in a cage might be a challenge haha

January 26th, 2012, 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

They just seem to be getting bigger up here in New England. This one just over 60lbs. Use to be a 35lb dog was good sized. Friend's kid got this one, third one this year.

Attachments:
Coyote.jpg
Coyote.jpg [ 100.14 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]
January 26th, 2012, 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Oh boy, Youve done it now. Somebody better put a warning under the title of this thread to warn that poor old English fellow. If he thought that otter was bad this coyote with the drop of blood off his nose is going to send him over the edge!

January 26th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, that's a big assed yote!

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

January 26th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Great photo corevan!

I think I'm going to print it and frame it; then hang it at the chicken house. I'm sure it will make them all feel more comfortable! lol

January 27th, 2012, 9:18 am
Profile WWW

kygames wrote:
Sounds fun, throwing an angry coyote into a cage haha. Wouldn't it be easier to kill him, cut him open and remove his urine sack? Im a rookie at this so getting him in a cage might be a challenge haha

It's actually very easy. In the past 3 years I've only had one coyote growl at me or even snap at me. (Again, take a look at the pictures on here that I posted).

After being in the trap most of the night they are slap worn out. You take one of those catching sticks like animal control uses. Put the loop around his head and hold him back while you get him out of the trap (the hard part). Then just slip him into a dog carrier until you get home to pen him.

Feed him/her (it REALLY helps if you catch a bitch the first time) road kill or other animals (dogs, cats, etc: just cut them up) that get in the traps. Give him/her plenty of water because you want lots of urine!

January 27th, 2012, 9:24 am
Profile WWW

Question:

Corevan, how did you keep photobucket from deleting that picture? I had some up that showed the coyote in the traps and the tree-huggers that run photobucket deleted them.

January 27th, 2012, 9:27 am
Profile WWW