It is currently October 26th, 2014, 1:55 am

Sigh....predator control 
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Post Sigh....predator control
Any advice for how to fix issues with two legged predators that fall from above? Having some major issues with them. Had one grab a malay pullet and it was trying to bite her head off when I saw it and ran it off. She lived and is now WAY too big to be eaten by something 1/2 her size. My little yardbirds are getting picked off like it's a dang buffet around here and it's getting real old.

February 11th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Post Re: Sigh....predator control
Was the hawk using humane methods? :mrgreen: Sorry I had to ask, LOL :mrgreen: Have a cock out there with them that will protect them. I knew a fellow that was bankrupted by maximum fine for each remains found so, I will not recommend #6 and an improved cylinder barrel

February 11th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

I've seen it recommended that you not shoot the birds but shoot off to the side so just to scare them. Well I've found that only works a few times and usually only on young hawks. I say do what you have to do to protect your investment. We had an incident last summer when I gave my niece her 18th b-day party. There were 10 teenagers in my back yard but that didn't stop a hawk from swooping in after 1 of my hens and her biddies. We tried our best to run it off, throwing rocks and sticks and all, but he just kept flying among us and even lit on the ground 2 times. I still think something was strange about that bird and I won't say how the situation was remedied.

February 11th, 2012, 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Dogs, shiny objects - hang CDs up, or put up fake owls. Don't kill them.

February 11th, 2012, 7:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

I have guineas and thought they would help but it keeps happening when I"m not home. I'd love to stay here 24/7 and I know a bird loose on the yard is a chance at getting picked off but it's like every day now. I've started to lose my good will toward the majestic winged predator. I don't have a dog and if I did and it killed my chickens it would not bode well for the dog as I have no patience in that respect and the dog (if it lived) would just be scared of me. I'm out of things that can just disappear now. I'm afraid the hawk will start trying to get into the fenced areas - there's no top but an 8 ft high fence around two large pens. The rest of the hawk eatin size birds are in enclosed pens and the big birds the hawks can't get.

February 11th, 2012, 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get a GP.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

February 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Stag
Stag

Have to agree with Carr on this one. If you dont have a dog, put the biggest baddest cock you have out on the yard with them. A couple buckles from an aggressive cock and they'll think twice.

February 11th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

LOL, I'd so love to see one of my roosters get after a hawk.

I have thought about a GP and I'm hoping something might pop up from a long line of flock protectors. I need something to keep the foxes, yotes and possums run off too.

February 11th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Once a hawk finds an easy target they will be there for ever till the food source is gone. Or the hawk goes away. A fellow I get dog food from had a huge enclosure about 5 acres with a raise up watching tower. He had about 100 rabbits in there he would train his beagles with. Well the hawks and owls would get them right and left. He decided to shoot and trap but just threw the carcases in the ditch. Well his neighbor turned him in. They brought in federal agents and last I knew he was close to 47,000. in fines and looking at some time. Its still on going.

February 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Get a good dog. And smaller hawks will kill larger chickens. Remember, they are predators with huge powerfil tallons. had a few birds killed a while ago, those hawks hung around like they woned the place. I kept the birds penned up for a whileand they seemed to go away. But remember they are always watching.

February 12th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail