It is currently October 30th, 2014, 7:11 am

Dubbing 
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Post Dubbing
Do any of you dub by yourself? I don't really have anyone available to help me hold the birds when I dub. Was wondering if anyone else does this alone and if so do youhave any tips to make it a little less difficult. I have dubbed 20 stags this year by myself and I am usually the one bleeding the most in the end from all the biting and kicking my hands receive in the process. Also as a side note. I seem to be leaving a little too much earlobe behind. I use a pair of super sharp grape shears for the comb and some sharp scissors for the wattles and earlobes. I just pull the skin out and one snip they are off. It looks like the birds throat got cut but heals nice and clean except for the top of the earlobe right by the ear hole. Any tips?

April 23rd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Dubbing
I've had to do it by myself plenty of times and i used a towel and wrapped them suckers up tight and put them between my knees..worked for me..LOL! Once i even used panty hose, but liked the towel version better..it was actually the old tea towel (my grandma's) that i used because they were longer and i could tie them tight so know escapes.

April 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Stag
Stag

Cut a corner out of a grain sack or pillow case, just big enough to get their head through. Wrap them up, legs flat out the back, not underneath. Hold between your knees on the floor. I dubbed 10 stags last fall in about 15 minutes this way, seems to work pretty good. Waddles first, then comb.

April 23rd, 2012, 3:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

I know folks that cut a hole in a bleach bottle and cut the bottom out so they slide the cock in and his head out the hole. I have a box I made that I use I think there is a picture of it on here somewere. Make sure you leave a patch of skin on the throat between the wattles. If you dont it is had on the bird when it heals it pulls the head in and down like a face lift would. Sometimes it will effect the breathing from being too tight when healed. To leave no skin between the whattles is a poor dubbing job.

April 23rd, 2012, 5:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Stag
Stag

I prefer to dub by myself.
Hold both wings in your left hand, and feet in you right. Pull wings together, and kneel down onto the inside of the right wing with youe left knee, pinning wings to the ground. Put your right foot on top of both legs. Leaves your hands free to hold comb with left hand to do wattles and lobes, then thumb inside mouth to do the comb. Very easy after you've done a few. Wear soft soled shoes, and do the procedure on soft grass.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

I dub alone also. I make a bird "burrito" by folding their legs up to their body and rolling them into a large towel deep enough to where I have to pull their head out and hold them by the comb. Like nocurs said: hold the towel between your knees. I will highly recommend using a pair of metzenbaum scissors. They are surgical scissors and cut very cleanly and easy and you can find a pair cheap on Ebay. I also like to use a Bovie cautery wand to stop any heavy bleeders and you can buy one of those for about 25 bucks and they are battery powered. That's just the "surgeon" in me though. I like to do things as cleanly and easy as possible. No blood soaked birds around here.

April 24th, 2012, 12:04 am
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

I OWN A DUBBING BOX ,,,, SMALL BOX GIVEN TOME BY A OLD TIMER FRIEND JUS BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD HIS BODY,,, NOT HIS TAIL, WITH SMALL HOLE IN MIDDLE OF NONTAIL END FOR HIS NECK ,,,, PUT HIM IN BOX AND SIT ON IT.. GRAB AND CUTT. EASY AN AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE.GD LUCK YFIS

April 24th, 2012, 12:08 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I'm no expert but do mine by myself. I can't kneel down with my fake knees, but that sounds like a real good idea - having them between your knees. I just put them on a board about chest high and hold 'em down. Wrapping them is easier. I don't do their ears (just me).

As to bleeding, i used to have issues till a guy showed me about putting one or two hackle feathers over the comb when done and that has taken care of that problem.

May 7th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Thanks to all for the tips. I got some surgical shears from Jeffers and rolled the stags up in a towl. Piece of cake. The last one I did looks like I been doing it my whole life. He is nice and clean, his earlobes are completely gone and his wattles healed up with just a little line on each side. I also use that trick Nocurs, I pull the downey feathers out of the breast and it clots and nits the blood real fast. One of my Mexican buddies showed me that trick. Works great.

May 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail