It is currently April 19th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Ideal's Saipan Jungle Fowl??? 
Chick
Chick

Post Ideal's Saipan Jungle Fowl???
i have been trying to find some big asil... and i have heard that the Saipan Jungle Fowl sold buy ideal are actually more an asil type than a saipan type... just wanted to get yalls opinion on this...

i realize they are probably not the best no matter what there type is lol... but im having such a hard time finding large asil... i was thinking about getting 25 st-run from them and then a good cock from somewhere and breeding them... it would get me a faster and cheaper start than any other way i can think of :( there st-run chicks are 2:14$ each... so far i can only find 3 stags and 2 pullets for sale... im waiting for the prices on these but im told normally he sells birds in the hundreds each... i could only afford to buy like maby 2 or 3 at that price... and then if one died or anything happened im up a creek with out a paddle lol....
thanks for the input

October 28th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Ideal's Saipan Jungle Fowl???
I wasn't over impressed from what I saw to be honest. There was a lot of variance in their fowl in that breed. If you are looking to start a breeding project, I wouldn't start there myself.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

October 28th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Chick
Chick

i do want to raise some real nice pure bred asil (and yes i know the chance of any game in actually being pure lol) but i allso want to do some breeding with them and a Cornish for a broiler cross... so i just need a big game bird for the cross...

i guess what im asking is after i use them for this should i try to breed them to a (pure) asil male and keep them... or just eat them and try to get some real nice ones to breed from... im working on a budget hear lol... i make 12 an hour :( so spending hundreds of dollars on a few birds is not that attractive to me... if i could get a few descent hens from an order of 25 from ideal and the buy a real good cock i would have a few dozen birds to play with in one generation... as i have read that some of the lines only lay one or 2 clutches of eggs a year...i don't have any experience with games so i guess im kind of worried that i will buy some real nice birds for a big price and then some thing will happen to them :( if i got the ones from ideal i would not be so worried about it and could get some experience with games... and then ether breed up or get some good stock... having said all that i do know the value of good breeding stock and want to do the best i can with the breed...

so has anyone on hear actually raised some of these??? any pics???

October 28th, 2009, 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

First off, if you plan on using them as a broiler cross with a cornish, that is kinda backwards. Most cross a quick growing breed like a rock with cornish to make broilers. As for expecting these to be be true games...don't. If you want to have asil, these will never be asil. I had the Saipans from there, and they varied quite a lot in type. They were ok for just starting out, but you would be much better to save your time and money and get something worth having imo. The birds I got from them didn't handle CRD well either. My point is that I would hate for you to venture into games with these birds, and draw conclusions from them. I liked what I was working with at the time, but looking back, they were pretty junky compared to what I know now. Here is a pic of the cock I had, after culling all the rest out.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

October 28th, 2009, 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to back him up on what was said..on everything..i won't repeat it all..no sense in it. The only thing i will add is that I too have had the "Saipans" from Ideal and the "Saipans" from Cackle..now the difference..well not much except for structure a bit. I learned to just call them Oriental as that is what they resembled..nothing in the way of game whatsoever, so if you're hoping to get experience that route..don't..you're not going to get it..sorry to be sounding so negative..but i just hate to see you start off like that. The pic i'm posting is several years old, but it is my daughter holding one of the Cackle Saipans i had..he was one of the better birds i had and did use him in a few projects.

October 28th, 2009, 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Chick
Chick

**First off, if you plan on using them as a broiler cross with a cornish, that is kinda backwards. Most cross a quick growing breed like a rock with cornish to make broilers**

lol i did not explain myself very well... i am trying to improve the Cornish's leg size and vitality by crossing in the asil game... i am planing on stabilizing the blood at 3/4 Cornish and 1/4 asil... and then cross over a Delaware or a rock... (im going to try both plus a white giant and crosses of these 3 breeds)... i have raised pastured broilers in the past and plan on raising some next year and the regular Cornish X rock just don't do as well on pasture... i have also raised the freedom rangers and was not really happy with them ether... i would like to get somewhere in between the two with my birds... faster growing than the rangers and mostly white and with fewer leg and heart problems than the Cornish X rocks... i know this will be a large project and i don't really expect to get there for 5 + years :)

this is y i originally started researching the large asil... but after all the reading and studying i have done i got the asil bug :) and want to raise some for there own merits and because they are so rare in the USA

October 28th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Chick
Chick

ChinaChicks1 wrote:
I have to back him up on what was said..on everything..i won't repeat it all..no sense in it. The only thing i will add is that I too have had the "Saipans" from Ideal and the "Saipans" from Cackle..now the difference..well not much except for structure a bit. I learned to just call them Oriental as that is what they resembled..nothing in the way of game whatsoever, so if you're hoping to get experience that route..don't..you're not going to get it..sorry to be sounding so negative..but i just hate to see you start off like that. The pic i'm posting is several years old, but it is my daughter holding one of the Cackle Saipans i had..he was one of the better birds i had and did use him in a few projects.

lol you posted this when i was typing my post....

ok so if i am hoping that the asil's (gameiness)(sp?) will improve they vitality then these birds wont help me at all??? i noticed that the Cackle hatchery pics had 2 cocks and a bunch of hens in a pic... i know enuf to think that they could not be very gamey lol...

**sorry to be sounding so negative** not at all this is exactly y i asked this question... i want to know the good the bad and the ugly :) :) :)

October 28th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Chick
Chick

**The birds I got from them didn't handle CRD well either **
Cuba,
what is CRD???

October 28th, 2009, 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

wiki/index.php?title=CRD

October 28th, 2009, 11:56 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Chick
Chick

ahh thanks... that will teach me to do my homework before asking a noob question :say

you know the funny thing is my parents have had chickens for the last 30+ years and not once have they ever had any disease... when we had young turkeys in with the chickens they got Coccidiosis but not the chickens... and its not like they ever tried for bio security ether... they bought most of there birds as chicks but they got some adults two... we bought broody hens at the Auction barn several times... and they never paid to get there chicks vaccinated ether...

October 29th, 2009, 12:13 am
Profile E-mail YIM