Post Re: hazel hen,s maybe
Attachment:
lady 091.JPG

May 26th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

I wouldn't think so, I'm sorry to say, for your sake. I see where you like it straight but I'll still selfedit somewhat. My thoughts include these pullets are not short, hard feathered birds with skulls as wide as snapping turtles, short tail would be going down, like a bird in a downpour, and were elegant as a cardboard box. These Oriental blended pullets elegantly nice, are not Saipans, no maybe, no if, no buts - Period.

May 27th, 2011, 7:04 am
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

i understand what you are saying and would not want anything else but your true opinion,thank you.the pics are not real good but these are the ones i got from hazel last year,the 2 stags i got did not impress me at all.the possum got them.these 2 hens have been setting all spring but still have to wiegh 7to8lbs maybe more. they have not had a rooster with them.

May 27th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

Then rumors of her having outcrosses in her stock, is obviously correct even if it was done when she got rid, then reaquired flock,. There do not appear to be same as was around in limited number during 1980's. Stonewall Cauthorne in Prince William or Fairfax County, VA had them, as well as Beverley Gillespie, of East Henrico County. as well as others that I did not really know. Those birds had very course features overall, particularly in head. Wide skulls, heavy strong brow, hard feathers, short feathers throughout tails on adults looked as tail on Indian stag given to Got Game, short ! Ugly looking to most except those that liked (myself include) that sort of thing. These have very long tail, they are so slender, I thought them pullets. Hens and cocks looked like something from the Jurrasic Period, very course, a primitive appearance. There are photos on Asil Club Pablo, David Meyers ( editor and publisher of classic but now defunct magazine, KULANG ) and myself posted throughout our discussion of the Saipan. On Ganoi.com, there was discussion relating to suggest that they were imported by Japanese during their occupation( quite long ) of island, not a wild junglefowl, but introduced feral, from Japanese birds. But these are not those, grades to whatever

May 27th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Chick
Chick

The story I heard was that when Hazel's origional Saipan cock died she used a big Malay cock on her Saipans. I also heard that these were the birds that got widely distributed around the country , and into the hands of the Hatcheries. Many of these so called Saipan birds come with cushion combs , a common trait of the Malay, and many are huge in size , also from the Malay influence.
If Mr. Saylor did indeed let out some of his stock to other people ( I believe 5 people were supposed to have received his fowl while he was living ) they would be quite a bit smaller than the Saipan x Malay birds that most folks recognise as Saipans.

May 28th, 2011, 12:19 am
Profile E-mail