It is currently October 24th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Conditioning Game fowl 
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post Conditioning Game fowl
How old must a bird be befre he is conditioned and what do i need to condition game cocks

?

August 25th, 2010, 12:36 pm
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post Re: Conditioning Game fowl
There a fair few methods in some books, Finsterbusch might be a good start :)

August 25th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Read it :D
Id like to know from expeirienced people :D

August 25th, 2010, 1:45 pm
Cockerel
Cockerel

I get ya mate sorry :) if it was me increasing protein wold be top of the list.

August 25th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

This is a long subject. First a cock should be in the best of health prior to conditioning, free of all parasites and any excess weight. He should be mentaly and phisicaly mature. We like them to of gone through the molt once so somewere around 16 months. I like to wait till they ar 18 months and up. They should have spent some time in with a hen prior to conditioning. No crazy or spooky birds. taming needs to be done on the yard not in the keep, as with weight gain and loss. You will need some fly pens.These are from 8-10 feet long by 4-6 feet wide by 8 feet high. They should have a perch or roost about 5 feet high. A jump board to get water at about 2 feet high. You will need keep stalls to feed at night in and to rest your birds in. Other than booting the protien we do not alter there feed from what there used to in the yard. We feed twice a day in the yard and in the keep. You will need a work bench with a padded top. 2-3 inches of foam with a close cut carpet works great. What you want to achieve is to make you bird comfortable with all surondings. Loud noise,dogs, quick movements. Plus you want to build his stamina, not musels. You want to teack him by sparring how to break not how to roll around on the ground, that comes natural. There are lots of other tricks of the trade but you will have to PM me to here more. Hope this gets you started thinking. Remmember a empty cock is a sharp cock.

August 25th, 2010, 3:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Conditioning Gamefowl takes 365 days a year. It really does. Quality feed and water every day of the birds life. Birds that have been taken well care of will win off the tiecord against a bird that has been overlooked for most of its life and threw in a 2-3 week keep.

August 25th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Know It All!
Know It All!

whiley truer words can not be said.You have to know your fowl like the back of your hand. That way you can tell whats going on with them. In other words you have to learn to speak there langage.

August 25th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

there used to be lots of keep methods for sale in the old cocker magizines....i always wondered if these were any good? whats your opinion of those finch?

August 25th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

i would like a good method myself...this is one area i have no exsperience in...used to have a friend that put ours through the keep...he wouldnt share his methods...but birds were in top shape when he was done with em..

August 25th, 2010, 5:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Keeps are a dime a dozen, everyone has a "secret" but in reality most are about the same. You either are an "all natural" or a stimulator. Natural Cocks will be a lot more consistent each and every time. Stimulates can mess a good rooster up if you dont know what is happening.

A good beginners keep would probably be the old cornbread keep, possibly the liver keep. But in reality, vitamins and good feed with the proper work will do well with quality fowl. Over work will/can make your bird "tight", his feet will be way to low to do anything. Not enough work, he will be winded quickly.

More than 3-4 ounces off a cock during a keep is BAD in my opinion. The cock/stag should not have much weight to loose before the keep. Always worm 3 weeks before the "day" at the beginning of the keep.

Keep birds outta wet pens, Keep them where they can see the hens from the flypen but not from the floor of the pen. I like to put on fresh grass after a good work to let them pick and keep loose.
A radio playing in the background during the keep will keep stress down on the "day".

MOISTURE is a big concern!!!

August 25th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail