It is currently April 17th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Ga Don and Thai 

Post Ga Don and Thai
I'd be interested to hear what y'all think the relationship is between these two ancient breeds of fowl. I'd also like to here you delineate in words the differences you see between the two breeds.

February 10th, 2012, 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Ga Don and Thai
hmm..I've kept both and crosses thereof as well. I'd have to really think about this one though as I believe it would regard what "line" you're working with. I can tell you that my ganoi were completely more "primal" than the thai. I don't know if it was the line i was working with though..they were naked neck breeders however did throw the feathered version as well.

February 10th, 2012, 7:53 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Of course what we will ultimately be discussing (I think) is the movement or trade of birds across the pennisula possibly thousands of years ago.

My thoughts are:

Ga Don is the older breed (as you state cc: primal).
It traveled West from Vietnam into Thailand possibly meeting the Asil come East. These two were then bred together to create the Thai.

We do know from historical sources that there was a great deal of trade along the triangle: India, Cambodia/Thailand/Vietnam, and Madagascar with India being the greater influence. But who is to say things didn't also flow the other way?

February 10th, 2012, 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Real interesting 'topic' starter... thanks Doc!
Anxious to see additional postings.

February 10th, 2012, 9:26 am
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

First I would have to state that their is a huge difference in Bone Structure and Bird IQ. I have met breeders from both pure sides in the states and overseas. Ga Don are massive birds usually in the 10 lbs plus range when mature which is usually at 1.5 years. Before that muscle can build their is huge bone structure to support that mass. There Bird IQ is equivocal to the dumb jock in Highschool. It takes literally a full scholarship and many tutors and tutorial sessions for them to pass College. But when they get into the pros, they are always picked first in the draft after they peak and costly also. They are also the heavyweights of boxing where difference in weight no longer plays a role in competition.

The good Thai are more medium birds in all aspects. Their bone structure is more uniform to function and praticality. Did you know that as a man if you take a pair of pants and you rolled the waist around your neck, if it reaches fully around, it also fits your waist without having to put it on. Good Thai birds have a similar feature; their necks and their legs are the same length, with their heads and their feet serving as a pendulum in proportion to their attached counterparts. This aids in the balance and bobbing and weaving abilities of good thai birds. This is where there Bird IQ begins. Thai birds are born like Jedi Knights like in the Star war movies. Continued

February 10th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Continued. Their genetic matrix enables them to be born with natural skills, like a Jedi Knight, these certain characteristics are enhanced with age and form what we call style by 8 months or 1st feather. Like the Jedi Knights in star wars certain skills enhanced will determine survival against the Sith during second feather. Weight distribution is keen in good Thai. Some people refer it to the tipping method(45 degree tilt), when you pick up the bird you look at how the legs swing at an angle, when you look at the bird move its head you look at the angle at which pecks the ground relative to neck and body motion. These are keen distinctions between Ga Don and Thai. Being able to handle good specimens of Ga Don and good Thai will enrich your knowledge of most OG, because they are the measure of brawn and brain.

February 10th, 2012, 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail

You missed the first part of the question: relationship if any (hard for me to imagine there isn't one, but possible) which is really my greater interest.

February 10th, 2012, 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

I don't think there is any relationship between both birds. You will find lot of pure Thai but hard to find pure Ganoi. In VN breeders buy best pit bird and breed them to their hens they just care of performance. 75% people who bring eggs from VN is not pure Ganoi.

February 10th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail