It is currently August 28th, 2014, 6:03 am

Madigan Grey 
Chick
Chick

Post Madigan Grey
I recently purchased a Grey stag and the guy told me he was a full Madigan Grey. What color legs should he have? Info please??

March 27th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Cockerel
Cockerel

Post Re: Madigan Grey
From what I've seen &
Off the top of my head, I wanna say they're yellow leg fowl.

March 27th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail
New Egg
New Egg

Just looking at the wiki on law grey "A successful cross was the Law greys to Madigan's Texas Ranger's. These came dark legged. Therefore, if you have dark legged Law Greys and the trait is due to Law's breeding and not some other breeder afterward, then I would guess it is Ranger blood."

Are your green or dark legged?

May 22nd, 2012, 9:17 am
Profile E-mail
Golden Feather Boy
Golden Feather Boy

Madigan's have always been white legged fowl to my knowledge, possibly a few yellow legged fowl. They are the same blood as the Claret's from Madigan which are mostly white legged fowl by the ones I've seen.

Here: http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Claret

It mentions at one point "A grey Claret cock bred to a Herrisford Brown Red Black and Tan hen in 1922 was the source of the dark legs in many of the greys." But really, I figure it matters very little now. Finding "pure Madigan greys" would be very unlikely I imagine due to people crossing so much and many breeders may say they have something pure; agree to sell you said thing, and in turn give you something they may not even know the breeding of because they bought it from someone else to sell as their own.

I've heard plenty of stories of even big name breeders that charge big money to know it is true. A lot of the "Stewart Yellow Legged Hatch" you see for example probably do not carry much or any Stewart blood. I've seen a great deal which looked like Sweaters to me and not like the Stewarts that we had (still have one cock) at all.

The reason for that would be one of the main suppliers would be a known feather peddler in these parts; but to the people that buy them it isn't known.

God bless,
Daniel.

Interested in poultry showing? Live in Mississippi or a nearby state? Check out the Mississippi Poultry Show Club!

May 22nd, 2012, 11:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Exactly Daniel...matter of fact a lot of people years later breeding the madigan clarets reportedly threw greys with them...So called Madigan greys these days probably have very little madigan in them...you have to keep in mind how long ago thats been that Madigan himself bred the greys ...Keeping them pure would have been virtually impossible...and if anyone had kept them pure they'd probably weigh 2 pounds and have no gameness to them...lol...Just take the Joe goodes for example...lots of folks have them...Lots of them come yellow legged and lots of them come white legged...Some of the Goode family explained to me that the goodes greys were crossed with kelso...so wether they had white or yellow leggs they said depended on how much kelso that particular line held...Or in other words there was more than one strain...As I'm sure they're was more than one strain of the madigans...when someone that succesful breeds fowl they breed a lot of them...A lot of different ways...some may have gotten them earlier before they got a hint of this or a dash of that ...Thats why pure is such a ridiculus term..But still a popular one...lmao...I'm a pure a_ _ hole...Or thats what my girlfriend says anyway...yfis, Buck

May 24th, 2012, 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Cock of the Walk
Cock of the Walk

Buckscocks wrote:
...lmao...I'm a pure a_ _ hole...Or thats what my girlfriend says anyway...yfis, Buck

Lol...

May 25th, 2012, 8:24 am
Profile E-mail
Bull Stag
Bull Stag

Most I've seen come white or yellow legged.

June 16th, 2012, 2:01 am
Profile E-mail