It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:51 am

CRD 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post CRD
Chronic Respiratory Disease

CRD is a disease that spreads very easy throughout a flock if left untreated. The first thing you need to do is isolate infected birds, as close contact spreads the disease. Then you have 2 options. You can cull infected birds, and burn the carcasses, or you can treat the symptoms. Keep in mind that a bird that has had CRD, will become a carrier after symptoms go away, and may get sick again when under stress.

Causes

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum bacteria.

Symptoms

* Rattle in the chest while breathing. (Sometimes the rattle doesn't show up until the birds are on the roost in the evening, and that is the best time to check for this condition.)
* Bubbles in the eye.
* Runny nose.
* Coughing or sneezing.

Treatments

Tylan
Gallimycin
Baytril
LS-50

Prevention

Chicks that are exposed to these carrier birds may develop a natural immunity to CRD.

WARNING

Do NOT consume eggs from treated birds until at least 7 days from the end of treatments.

May 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

I have inj tylan gallamicin and water sol sulmet, duramicin, teramicin and neomicin. I have a large flock and most are penned up what is the best way to treat if the disease is present and if you want to prevent it?

labrat

September 12th, 2008, 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to help prevent, the LS-50 is for that. If you want to treat infected birds, and have a large flock, you can use water soluble tylan. There is also the option of culling out birds that can't cope with crd on their own, to help improve natural resistance in your flock.

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

September 13th, 2008, 9:39 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

The birds I had originally where very disease resistant and seldom got sick but I culled them hard. I bought my friend out around 150 birds young and mostly 2 to 3 yrs of age and about 10% developed a rattle type when resting all that displayed any running eyes and rapid weight loss were killed and or separated quickly from flock. I have inj tylan but no water sol. Will this water sol tylan solve the problem if its crd?

Labrat

September 14th, 2008, 12:02 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

I may be misunderstanding you, are you looking to treat birds with crd, or prevent them from getting it?

I'll keep my FREEDOM, my GUNS, my MONEY, my RELIGION, and you can keep the "CHANGE" ~ Hank Williams Jr.

September 14th, 2008, 12:26 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

Both I have separate areas for birds with sick like symptoms and a healthy flock. I want to treat them all to make sure, and besides its not the breeding season and a very good time for me to start cleaning up the farm. I have some very special birds with crd like symtoms and need them trated. I am sorry for any misunderstandings, Thanks

Labrat :)

September 14th, 2008, 1:45 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, well the LS-50 can be used on young birds as a preventative measure, but if you have specific birds to treat, I would use Tylan injectable myself. Personally, on my yard any fowl that can't get over the symptoms on their own get their heads pulled off, but I understand about needing certain birds as well. All of the meds listed above will work with CRD. If you click on them, it will also show you dosages. If you have a large quantity of fowl that are showing symptoms, you can use the water soluble Tylan, as you won't have to inject every bird. Just remember though, any fowl that you keep that can't deal with CRD on their own, and you use in your breeding program, will make your flock more likely to have this be a problem for you in the future. If you decide to let your birds see if they can overcome CRD on their own, a little vet-rx, or vicks vapor rub near the nostrils will help speed that along. Hope this helps!

September 14th, 2008, 9:30 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Cockerel
Cockerel

Thank you I to pull any head off that has any sort of chronic problem. I want to insure the flock stays healthy, and treat any bird that seems sick it could just be a cold in a few new birds but I want to be sure. I just see symtoms and panic. But I would rather worry about them than let them go and just wither away and infect all other birds. I have a very well taken care of flock. Just some of the new birds I got from a friend worry me alittle. I appriciate all your time and knowledge about this issues thanks and God Bless.

Labrat

September 15th, 2008, 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem, hope you get it straightened out. Good luck!

September 16th, 2008, 2:04 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
New Egg
New Egg

Post CRD question ??
I have been reading up on this. So I understand totally. I had two pullets that were sneezing and rattling in the chest. I put them in pens away from the other birds and did not treat them. A few days later they were fine and no symptoms at all. I had Mycoplasma Iners here before and culled all the birds involved and these ones came form a diffrent breeder 6 months after I culled those ones out. I had all my other birds tested and no positives. This is really frustrating how common this disease is. No matter if I cull all my birds I know I will run into this problem agian with getting new birds. I know it is really common in most flocks. So, is this good the girls got over it on their own? Should I cull them for the good of the flock. OR is it good to use them to breed in a natural resistance since they got over it?

Also I read on the LS50. Should I start doing all my chicks? Sounds like it is great stuff! I just want o t give them a good start at life.

Thanks,
BlueHen

October 14th, 2008, 12:23 pm